Sunday 17 July 2011

Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella, a Book Review

My latest Sophie_Kinsella read, is Twenties Girl. personally, this was just a bit disappointing, I have particularly enjoyed the Shopaholic series and her other books. This was a bit strange as the main charachter Lara, although a pretty much formulaic heroine, for Kinsella, is haunted by a ghost, of her great Aunt Sadie, and although she died at the ripe old age of 105, the ghost is a 23 year old version of Sadie! Needless to say Sadie was in her twenties in the 1920s! So, if you are a fan of this era and the glamour it represented, the book is full of quite a few 1920s fashion, make-up, lifestyle references. I think thats where it lost me. I should've known by the title but, I tend to get my decades mixed up, and am familiar up to the 50s, 40s even, but before that my interest wanes a bit.

I know, I know, the title of the book is self-explanatory, but I thought it would be a bit more.....interesting /glamourous/relatable. I had to google flapper dress, as I had a 70s style flapper in mind, only then did the first date outfit, with the feather head-dress and all make any sort of sense. Maybe its just me and my ignorance of 1920s culture.


1920s flapper dress, with fringe hemming and feathre headress, and cigarette holder!

The other thing that irked me, again this is going to sound rather shallow: I found it Aunt Sadie's tale of unrequited love and lonely retirement life especially after her stroke, rather tragic. I classify Sophie Kinsella as an excellent chick-lit writer, keeping it light and entertaining all the way, this wasn't completely so, and I had no fair warning.

No comments:

Post a Comment