Saturday 24 March 2012

Death by a Duststorm



Dear Readers,

You are probably thinking what kind of overly dramatic and morbid title is that? Well, as I have previously blogged, the Middle East continues to be engulfed in dust, there was an all out sandstorm in the middle of last week resulting in the closure of schools in Riyadh and Jeddah. Although there is no longer a sandstorm the dust hasn’t completely settled either.

Now, I like many people have a bit of an allergy to dust. If I inhale too much dust, my sinuses get inflamed and I can’t breathe, and need to take an anti-histamine. My allergy was quite awful when I was younger, but alhamdoililah, now it’s much better.

But on Tuesday, all I could smell was dust, and my sinuses were irritated- I was sniffing Vicks inhaler like a drug-addict trying to OD. Can you overdose on Vicks inhaler? If I inhaled from my nose I sneezed and if I inhaled from my mouth I coughed-as if that wasn’t enough I had a pounding headache, and my eyes watered. In short, I was in a foul mood.

Feeling tres morbid I browsed the ArabNews website, and all the while the phrase ‘Dust to dust, ashes to ashes’ haunted my thoughts. I was rather surprised and relieved to only read about 400 cases of asthma and dust related breathing problems in Jeddah alone. I was expecting at least one ‘Death by a Duststorm,’ headline.

Of course, I had over-reacted. As the anti-histamine and Paracetamol kicked in I felt much better and realised that every single breath that we take, without a thought and without pain, is a mercy from Allah-
Will we still not be grateful ? 


“So remember Me; I will remember you. And be grateful to Me and do not deny Me.” (2:152)


 And whoever is grateful is grateful for [the benefit of] himself. And whoever denies [His favor] – then indeed, Allah is Free of need and Praiseworthy.” (Qur’an, 31:12)

Alhamdolilah, I am much better now but I still keep the Vicks close at hand. 
Everything in our life happens for a reason- to draw us closer to Allah, if only we pay a bit of attention and keep the eyes of our hearts open.

Be thankful-and please remember me in your du3as!


2 comments:

  1. We have been having some here in Riyadh as well and like you I am always sneezing like crazy ugh I hate them..

    ReplyDelete
  2. We also have had sand storm last week here .It is still dusty and irritating .

    ReplyDelete